Thursday, October 30, 2008

voice talent

...Recording..

Thanks to my cousin "Ah Wei" (nickname)...

for the first time I experienced narrating for a corporate video!! (serious business, not just any practical recording)

it all started when Ah Wei asked me if i have any voice talent to recommend for narrating. without hesitation, what i did was... in turn i asked "may i recommend myself instead?" After recorded a short demo, i sent over to him and waited for the news.. on the next day, he told me i got the "green light" to narrate for this corporate video. i was thrilled! i was told to wait for the script before proceed to recording. approximately a week later, the script was received and it was fully 4 pages! i practiced along the way and was excited and nervous for the recording. on the day before the recording, i was told that the script was cut short because it was way too long for the video. it was great because 4 pages needs more than 8 hours to record! (in the end we used about 4 hours to record the 1 and a half page script)

it was not my first time entering a studio but this studio has one control room and one recording room, so it's more clearly divided than the familiar studio in New Era College (NEC). but i am not complaining, City on Air in NEC is good enough. trust me, you will love it as we all did. xD (we, as in the whole class of broadcasting major)

recording room= the next room, can see the recording process through the glass, on the table is a 32 track mixer, and with two speakers. my cousin did not use the mixer that day because it's all easier with digital mixer that comes along with Pro Tools software. those walls are no decorations, the patterns in the background on the wall are actually some sort of material which absorbs sound. (i forgot the exact term for it though)

complicated hardwares.. Oh, that's my feet. HAHA


the microphone that i used.. cost more than RM35 K! (it's a condenser mic, one of the best i guess)

it's not that I never feel this, but after the recording, it again reinforce the idea that I have so much more to learn! The variations in my tone is yet to be improved!! my confidence even faltered a bit after the recording.. however, i still like my voice. hehe

when i was in New Era College, i learned all the basic skills on radio broadcasting, planning and recording commercials, hosting, planning programmes, editing tracks and all, and i truly very treasure those moments. We did not have someone to guide us on the variations of tone though... however we were required to sound as natural and lively as possible.. and we did some improvement as we host various shows. but those are not enough..
So...
i decided...
I am going to work on my tone variations in these two months of holiday. This is my aim. More voice talent job to come please. HEHE

1 comment:

  1. hey congratulations!!! you have took your 1st step to voice talent job... congrates congrates~~~

    ReplyDelete