Sunday, June 14, 2009

self reliance by ralph waldo emerson- Genius

Genius,
written by Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The other day I read some unusual poems. The poet wasn't famous for his poetry; in fact, he is a well-known artist, a painter. But the verses were so original and unconventional that they struck me, as I'm struck by any art that refuses to conform to convention, regardless of the subject or medium. It feels like the ghost of an old schoolteacher shaking a disapproving finger at my soul, scolding me for not remembering a lesson I should have learned by now. The frame of mind this kind of art puts me into is worth more to me than its content or message.
---------------------
To believe your own thoughts- to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for everyone- that, is genius.
-------------------
Say your secret belief out loud and it becomes the truth of the universe. In time, the innermost idea will expand to the outermost edge of the cosmos, and our first thought will be echoed back to us in the dying notes of the end of eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment