Sunday, September 7, 2008

Discourse

p/s: the arrows indicate intonations. ^^

okay.. what is discourse? discourse involves interaction. According to Answer.com, discourse is:
"Verbal expression in speech or writing.
Verbal exchange; conversation.
A formal, lengthy discussion of a subject, either written or spoken.
Archaic. The process or power of reasoning."
in the spoken discourse lecture, we are going to learn to analyse conversation. and that involves a lot of prosodic symbols! (don't ask me what that is, i just know that the symbols are needed to mark the breaks and intonations.. and that kinda thing. xD
so basically this is what i did.
we recorded our own conversation, and try to analyse it.
the one i did is a basic one.. but then... it's quite interesting to know that we can actually analyse our conversation this way. haha
truly interesting.
and so above is a sample of what i did. ^^
i tried my best. hope i got it right... coz honestly. i do not know if i really did get a hang of how to analyse conversations.

3 comments:

  1. wow..you really think a lot...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me guess...u must be studying english;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo... I like the arrows to indicate intonations! Easy to understand.

    (I hope I can find some good intonation notation when I eventually start to learn Chinese)

    ReplyDelete