Tuesday, August 12, 2008

voice talent. a dream

-voice talent-

since i was a kid, i like everything about English. from the language to the western culture (the good parts) and to the music and literature. i think it's because i started to watch Sesame Street and kid stories since i was a year old. haha... yes Sesame Street, it may sound funny but seriously, my mom told me i started to watch since i was like.. one or two.. so English is like sub-consciously implanted in my mind.

However, as i grow up i get lesser exposure to English. My family background is very Chinese-like, we speak Mandarin or Hokkien at home. My only exposure to English is through movies and English oldies. Although i like to watch English movies, i was not good at writing at all.. As my mum listens to Chinese radio station mostly and occasionally some English oldies, and as i speak Chinese at home, i was stink at English language until i am at the age of 14 (form two). It is when i started to exposed myself to hitz.fm and liking the hit songs they play on air that I start to expose more to English. i started to read some English books, from Nancy Drew series, the Hardy Boys, Blyton series and such stories. (yes, that kinda stories...)

then i exposed to the internet at the end of the year of form2, and so get used to english interface. as for my english speaking, i guess i sort of learn it through the movies. i can imitate english accent the british way or american way, but my english is more to american accent and slangs.

and therefore, i started to take part in speech competitions, in three different languages (malay, chinese and english). and it is also then i got more and more confidence and start liking the stage. (public speaking)

and in my first year in New Era College (i took radio broadcasting as my sub- major), i heard from my radio broadcasting lecturer that there's a job called "voice talent", where individuals record commercials and get rm300 for each voice commercial. it seems like a good opportunity to earn extra cash~ though i have not yet try it out. but i want to! what i need is an opportunity! yes! please give me this chance to change my life. ^^

but i do need opportunities~ and for that, i have to be initiative and to approach the possible chances!

before i start my degree programme in ucsi, i have tried and recorded a 10-minutes voice demo.. and have delivered to several local english radio station.. however, i did not get any feedback though,it must have meant i still have a lot to improve. I even passed my voice demo around among friends (even friends in USA) to get their feedback. The feedback was good, and i received compliments on my voice.

Though i know what my weakness is. my demo is not lively enough. it is too narrative for radio. however, my spirit is not dampen. i will record a better voice demo and i am still aiming to get a job in radio, after i get my full degree. ^^


2 comments:

  1. hello dear,
    great to hear tat u love book as u learn ur eng from there..

    i wish i could be like u too..though i love english bt my english writing n speaking damn poor~

    hmm..i hav attended lot of eng courses bt i stil feel tat i did not improve much on it..

    smtimes..i do feel bad abt it..bt i will try my best to read more on eng form..

    thanks for sharing ya~ muaks..take k^^

    ReplyDelete